Together we consider

Visa Information

The following information provides helpful guidance if you are thinking of applying to Highfield and Brookham from overseas.

Studying in the UK

The type of visa required depends on the length of study. A child can study in the UK for less than six months with ‘Visitor Status’. For longer periods, you need to apply for a Child Student Visa under the points-based immigration system.

Short Term Study (less than six months)

If your child will be joining Highfield and Brookham for just one term, they can enter the UK as a ‘Visitor’.

Visitor status is usually valid for up to six months. You can apply online for a Visitor Visa up to three months before you travel and you should get a decision within three weeks. Apply for a UK Visitor Visa or View further information and check up-to-date costs.

Highfield and Brookham strongly advise that you take out private health insurance, including dental care as visitors to the UK are not covered by our National Health Service (NHS).

Long Term Study (six months to six years)

If your child is aged four years or above, and will be joining Highfield and Brookham for longer than one term, you will need to apply for a Child Student visa.

When applying through the Student Route you will need to demonstrate that you meet the required 70 points. For a Child Student Visa, this means that you will have:

  • Received a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from us
  • Provided evidence that you are able to support the child financially for at least one academic year

You do not need to provide financial evidence if you have already been in the UK for at least 12 months, or if you’re from an exempt country such as the EU, EEA and Switzerland. View further information about financial evidence.

View further information and check up-to-date costs. You will also need to pay the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge as part of your application. Paying the Immigration Health Surcharge gives your child access to the UK’s National Health Service (NHS). Please note, due to additions made by the UKVI, in practice, the Healthcare Surcharge is likely to be higher:  Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

You can apply online up to six months in advance of the course start date. Most people will be able to complete their identity verification through the new UK Immigration app without having to attend a Visa Application Centre. Apply for a Child Student Visa Online.

Parent of a Child Student Visa

You can apply for this visa if your child is under 12 years old, will be joining Highfield and Brookham as a Day Pupil, and you want to stay in the UK with them.

Applications can be made up to three months before your date of travel, and the visa will be granted for the duration of the child’s visa until they reach the age of 12 years.

View further information and check up-to-date costs.

Check if you need a UK Visa on

Prep school
Visit us

This information is provided as general guidance for international parents considering Highfield and Brookham School for their child. It is not legal advice, and should be used for reference purposes only and not as a substitute for any professional advice. The most accurate and up-to-date information can always be found on the UK Government website.